Types of Water After a Pipe Bursts

Should you drink that water coming out of the pipes?

The past few weeks of extreme weather have caused a multitude of plumbing issues for hundreds of thousands of home and business owners in the Texas and surrounding areas. One of the main issues many people are now dealing with is the aftermath of pipes that have burst due to freezing temperatures. If you or someone you know suffered this type of loss, there are some things about water and its damages that you should know.

There are three main categories of water when dealing with plumbing issues. The first kind of water is drinking water. This is the clear, clean water that most people are used to seeing come out of the faucet when filling a glass to drink or to run over a toothbrush in the morning. Drinking water is safe to consume and should be included in a normal healthy diet.

A type of water that can often be found after a pipe has burst is called stagnant water. This type of water often does not move and can be seen sitting in low areas or around the pipes it came from. However, this water is not safe to drink and can cause serious health concerns or even death. After drinking stagnant water, many report symptoms that include diarrhea, nausea, intestinal cramping, aches and pains, as well as dehydration. Do not drink stagnant water and contact a doctor immediately if you have any of the symptoms associated with drinking stagnant water.

The most contaminated type of water is called black water. This is water that has been mixed with urine, fecal material, as well as a wide variety of bacteria and fungi. This type of water often comes from overflowing toilets or burst pipes from inside of a home or office building. Removing black water does not remove the bacteria left behind on the surfaces it touches. This is a type of material that must be removed by professionals as it is considered a biohazard and can cause rapid mold and mildew growth, some of which may be airborne.

How can you tell if the water in your home or business may be contaminated? There are some easy ways to tell. Look to see if the water is unclear, cloudy, or contains any particles. Does the water emit any odor or have a bad taste? Are there any stains around the area where the water touches a solid surface? A good rule of thumb is that if the water is not moving, you should not drink it.

If you think your home or business may have stagnant or black water damage, please make sure to contact a public adjuster at Crossroads Insurance Recovery Advocates so that we can help you get the recovery you are rightfully owed from your insurance company. We want to make sure that you have safe drinking water available and that all of the damages your home or business has sustained are properly rectified. You can contact our office at 713-369-4300. We look forward to helping you today.

Scroll to Top