Frequently Asked Questions

Which Adjustment Path Leads To Your Rightful Financial Recovery?

What are your options when it comes to your insurance claim?

Allowing the adjuster working for the insurance company to control your recovery

Adjusters are hired to minimize the extent of the insurance company’s financial exposure in the claim recovery process and review the demand submitted by the policyholder (as stated in your policy) to ensure it is based on the conditions, endorsements and exclusions contained in your policy(s); not to manage your claim recovery.
He/she does not work for you, he/she works for the insurance company.

Hiring a fire and water damage restoration company, contractor or roofer

These firms are not licensed to manage, negotiate or participate in the adjustment of an insurance claim recovery. They do not understand, nor are they interested in, the most important portion of the claim recovery process:  your insurance policy. They cannot be involved in the business interruption, loss of rents, additional living expense re-imbursement or personal property (contents) portion of a claim recovery.  Their allegiance is to the adjuster working for the insurance company, not to the policyholder.

Attempting to adjust the claim yourself

Do you have the time, skills, knowledge and expertise required to prepare a detailed demand to submit to the insurance company’s representative(s) that can support your position?   Do you understand all of the terminology, conditions, endorsements and exclusions contained in your insurance policy(s) and how to apply the damages sustained to ensure you receive a complete and equitable financial recovery?  If the insurance company offers you less money than you are rightfully entitled to will you know?  What support would you have to substantiate your position?

Retaining an attorney

An attorney is the only party, other than the policyholder or licensed public adjuster, that can adjust a claim recovery on behalf of a policyholder.  Their financial compensation is much higher than a public adjuster and they hire professional assistance (most often a public adjuster) to measure and document the damages sustained to the structure, business personal property and/or contents.

Hiring a state-licensed public insurance adjuster to adjust the claim on your behalf

This policyholder advocate will measure, document and support a detailed demand to the insurance carrier based on your policy(s) provisions and endorsements in effect at the time of the loss.  Public adjusters are motivated to secure the highest financial compensation a policyholder is rightfully entitled to, in the most expeditious manner possible.  In addition to being well versed in policy terminology and procedures, your state-licensed public insurance adjuster must pass an extensive state-mandated background check, be bonded, pass a rigorous State Department of Insurance written exam to obtain a license and pass annual continuing education classes to maintain state licensure.  Quite often, the most knowledgeable person involved in the claim recovery management process is your state-licensed public insurance adjuster.

Scroll to Top